Monday, May 26, 2008

Long overdue post

So, sadly this is my 4th day in Oman but only my first post.

To begin, if you haven't gotten the message...I'm doing my internship in Oman. I work with HSBC Oman in their Business Banking division and will be soon transferring to their Global Securities Trading Division.

The trip to Oman was ridiculously long with two layovers- London and Bahrain. When I finally arrived, I was greeted by all of the AIESECers which was incredibly nice. Within the first day I went to the largest indoor mall in Oman, City Center, and then to the Indian part of town, Ruwi. The mall, was interesting because it was pretty much a replica of an American mall except with occasional Arabic words next to the names of the stores and people walking around in traditional wear. Also, I was surprised by the stores that they had there. I would have expected the Omanis to be fairly concervative with their stores, but there were probably 2 or 3 lingerie stores showing off the thongs and bras in the store window. Ruwi, the Indian part of town was chaotic, with too many people crowding the streets. There I got my first taste of Omani and Indian men and their "happy" behaviour. Men here hold hands while walking with each other, and sometimes will even give shoulder massages as one is sitting. Very peculiar.

The Arabic men are not as scary as the Indian guys as Arabic men might look or quickly glance at you since you are a female that is not in the traditional abayas. Indian men look and stare at you from top to bottom. I guess that is it for my initial impressions of Oman. More later as now it is time for me to go to a park with a co-worker.

1 comment:

Arabesque said...

hi welcome to Oman read about places you can see http://blog.omanholiday.co.uk - enjoy Oman