Thursday, May 29, 2008

Havin Fun the Muscat Way

So last night we went out to celebrate John's 20th birthday. Fun was had by all...

We started off at Rock Bottom which had expensive drinks, no one dancing, and mostly older guys, although it did have a decent band (playing sweet home alabama). We quickly left there to go to the Intercontinental Hotel...the major American hotel here. We started at Trader Vic's for huge mixed rum drinks. I loved the decor and environment of the place, with salsa music and dancing, except there was horrible smoke. After that place we headed to the club Gazelle inside the main part of the hotel. The club wasn't that bad, with pool tables and people actually dancing on the dance floor. The music playing was mostly techno with a bit of hip hop thrown in sometimes. While the dancing was fun, the most enjoyable part was watching the people on the dance floor. There were 3 REALLY gay guys dancing hilariously, an Omani getting jiggy with it in full dishdasha, and several drunk guys spasming on the floor. Somehow I was able to attract the attention of the Omani, who asked for my name and relationship status. I just ran away while a nice British guy took care of him. On the way home, John was giving Celeste a backrub in the car...possible hookup between them?

We slept for 2 hours and then I woke up to drive Celeste and John to work. I met up with Suzy and Katy and headed to McD's for lunch and then to the old part of town. We walked around the boardwalk and then headed to a souq (market). The souq was sadly mostly closed but we'll come back later. Then we stopped by and took pics in front of the Sultan's palace. WOW it's amazing. I'm def lookign forward to actually going into the souq while it's busy and getting to visit the inside of the Sultan's palace. Then sadly I had to cut the day short cause I had to get to a fair where HSBC had a table set up. Representing HSBC was slightly dull, but outside they had a traditional national Omani band playing to attract people to the fair. The band was so weird. It was a mix of Scottish, African, and Native American. There was a bagpipe playing with African sounding beats and words. Yet, the dancing and costumes were kinda like the Native Americans. I enjoyed, and it was def better than the fair itself. I like Rest Days :)

Also, for those that have read up to here and went to high school with me. Scott is a guy that works in HSBC who is amazingly cool and went to my high school, Walton High class of '99. How cool is that?

No comments: